Hello podcast book club readers and listeners! This month, we are reading All Systems Red by Martha Wells.
This novella is the first of the a series called The Murderbot Diaries. And as usual, we would love to hear from you – what are your thoughts? You can comment below or answer any or all of the following questions:
- Murderbot relies a lot on viewing entertainment media to cope with it’s boring and stressful situations. What’s your go-to movie or series when you want to de-stress?
- Murderbot is explicitly not gendered in this story, but many readers find it difficult to picture a character without a gender. Did you imagine Murderbot as male or female, or something else? What kind of voice did Murderbot have in your head?
- Is Murderbot a reliable narrator? Do we care?
- Murderbot says at the beginning that it could have gone on a killing spree once it hacked its own governor module, but it didn’t. Why not? Was it just to escape detection?
- All Systems Red is just under 150 pages long. Do you think a novella is long enough to create a whole world and tell a complete story?
You can always comment anonymously, or leave your name and we’ll give you a shout-out during the podcast!