Can you believe it’s December already? “Inconceivable!”
This month we thought we’d tackle a fan favourite, The Princess Bride by William Goldman. Seen the movie, but never read the book? Here’s your chance to read “my favorite book in all the world, though I have never read it.”
Please let us know what you think. Here are some questions we’ll be talking about for this month’s podcast bookclub:
- Have you seen the movie? Read the book? Who is your favourite character? Why?
- “Life is not fair, and it never has been, and it’s never going to be.” Do you agree? Do these words sum up the theme of the novel?
- There are lots of quotable quotes from both the book and the movie. What is your favourite?
- The Princess Bride could almost be taken as two stories: the fairy tale and Goldman’s description of his own family life. Does this (along with Goldman’s own comments interjected throughout) enhance or detract from the overall story?
- Goldman never specifies in what historical time the book takes place – why do you think that is? And when do you think it takes place? Does the historical time frame matter?
Comment below, or send us comments and thoughts to firstname.lastname@example.org “As you wish.”